Oh-do I feel like a child again!
Over the weekend, my inlaws threw a surprise farewell party to my Sister in Laws daughter-who is only 8-and going to Dubai! I was so excited to be given the task to make a Kit Kat cake as I’ve always wanted to make something like that but did not want it to make it for no reason. I have to admit, it was so hard resisting myself from eating the kit kats and M&Ms whilst I was constructing the cake, I felt like a kid!
Of course, this chocolate cake recipe never fails me. I have used it many times, my sister uses it many times…in fact its the only chocolate cake recipe we use! It was given to us by our lovely Aunt Nola (love her to bits Mashallah!) and it has always impressed many consumers :)
I apologize that I do not have a photo of the cake cut so you can see what its like on the inside. It was gone by the time I even had a chance to take a photo!
RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
Chocolate cake recipe adapted from my Aunt Nola
Prep time: 30 mins
Bake time: 1 hour
Assembly time: 20 mins
Ingredients for chocolate cake
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup hot coffee (made from 1 tsp coffee)
Method for chocolate cake
1. Preheat oven to 170°c.
2. Line the base and sides of a 20cm diameter springfoam tin with baking paper.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
4. Pour all the wet ingredients into another large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until combined.
5. Then gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet bowl. Fold until well combined.
6. Pour batter into the cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Ingredients for vanilla buttercream
Adapted from my own memory and taste!
250g softened butter, at room temperature
3 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp cream
Method for vanilla buttercream
1. Using a stand mixer, whisk the butter and sugar until well combined and smooth.
2. Gradually add in vanilla essence, milk and cream.
3. Whisk on medium to high for a few minutes until silky smooth.