RECIPE FOR MALAYSIAN VEGETARIAN LONTONG
Adapted from my stepmother
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
For the paste, blended:
2-3 dried chillies, seeds removed and soaked in hot water for 30mins
6 candle nuts
4 garlic cloves
1.5 tbsp turmeric powder
1cm piece of shrimp paste (belacan), toasted
30g dried shrimp, or handful-soaked in hot water for a couple of mins
10 small packets of rice cubes, cut into small cubes
1 cup long green beans, cut into 5cm long
1 large carrot, cut into 5 cm thin strips
1/2 cabbage, cut into pieces
400ml coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 packet bean curd sticks, softened with boiling water for 5mins
3 tbsp oil
salt, to taste
1. In a medium size pot with water, boil rice cubes for an hour (follow instructions on packet). Remove and leave to completely cool before refrigerating for 2 hours. Rice cubes need to set firmly before cutting.
2. Cut all the vegetables and then blend the ingredients to make the paste.
3. In a medium pot, heat up oil and saute the blended ingredients until oil separates.
4. Add coconut milk and chicken stock, simmer on medium heat.
5. Put the vegetables and bean curd sticks; and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. Season well with salt.
6. Serve with some cut rice cubes for a one pot meal.