I love pastries! Sweet or savoury, I’ll happily scoffed them all! I made these pastries for a brunch a few weeks ago. I’m very fussy with it comes to breakfast so I decided not to follow a recipe, and just simply whip up something that I would enjoy. I love caramelised onions and haloomi cheese. These 2 are the main ingredients I love and I could just eat them on their own!
RECIPE FOR SAVOURY BRUNCH PASTRY
Makes: 12 pastries
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 20-30mins
300g mix mince (beef & lamb)
1 brown onion, sliced thinly
1 cup cut haloomi cheese (diced)
1 red capsicum, sliced thinly
1/2 cup sliced black olives
beef rashes (optional, for variety)
3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp italian herbs
2 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 160degrees fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
2. In a saucepan with some oil, brown the mince. If adding rashes, you may cook it with the mince. Do not overcook. Remove
3. Add a bit more oil and saute the onions, mushrooms and capsicum. Cook until onions caramelised and capsicum is nice and soft. Then add salt, pepper and italian herbs
4. Cut 1 sheet of pastry into 4 square. Gently roll the edges to form a shallow pit for the ingredients to sit in. Then add the sauteed onions/capsicum/mushrooms around the edges. In the middle, put about 1-2 tablespoons of mince. Top it off with some olives and cheese and finally drizzle the egg over.
5. Bake for 20-30mins until pastry is golden and puffed.