I love a quick and easy stir fry for a mid week dinner! Being at work-at-home-mum to a mother of 2 under 3, leaves me very little time for everything else. You might plan ahead what you had in mind for dinner, but things happen and now you’re left with under an hour to prepare dinner? Just put on a pot of rice and make this simply beef black pepper stir fry. All done in about 30 minutes!
RECIPE FOR CHINESE BEEF BLACK PEPPER
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia with slight modifications
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
250 g beef tenderloin or flank steak, cut into thin pieces
2 ½ tablespoons cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 carrot, sliced diagonally
½ small green capsicum, cut into pieces
½ small red capsicum, cut into pieces
1 small onion, cut into quarters
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
Sauces to marinade
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
½ teaspoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
1. Marinate the beef with all the sauce ingredients, about 15 minutes ( I didn’t let it sit to marinate because it was a last minute decision to make this & it still turned out tasty!)
2. Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Stir-fry the beef until the beef has just turned brown, then add the garlic and ginger. Stir fry until aromatic.
3. Add the capsicums, carrots, onions and black pepper. Stir-fry for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften (but make sure it doesn’t go soggy)
4. Transfer the beef back into the wok or skillet. Stir-fry until the beef is cooked through and the center of the meat is no longer pink, about 1-2 minutes. Dish out and serve immediately with steamed rice.
5. Serve immediately with warm rice.