Spring rolls make the best appetisers for any gatherings, big or small. What I love about them is that they are so crunchy on the outside and very moist on the inside. One spring roll is definitely not enough, two, three…heck I can even gobble up 5 or more depending on how big they are.
Usually home made spring rolls are larger than store bought ‘cocktail’ spring rolls. Though tedious to make, I still prefer making it myself. I roll them a bit bigger, around 6-8cm long so it saves me time standing up rolling one by one.
For those not familiar with jicama, this vegetable is used in the filling of the spring roll. Its a sweet root vegetable kind of like a turnip.
And this is how you roll a spring roll. Get a big sheet of spring roll pastry and put the filling in the middle towards the end bit.
Then roll the side closest to you, covering the filling.
Roll the left flap in.
Roll the right flap in.
Then roll it once before brushing it with the cornstarch + water mix (acts as a glue).
Roll it closed. Seal tightly. And deep fry for a couple of minutes.
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE SPRING ROLL
Filling prep time: 10 mins
Wrapping time: 30-40 mins
Cook time: 1-2 mins each
15 sheets large spring roll wrappers
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
3 medium sized prawns tail off, chopped finely
1 large carrot, shredded
1 large jicama, shredded
1/2 cabbage, cut thinly
1 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup baby green peas
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black papper
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp peanut oil
vegetable oil for deep frying
sweet chilli sauce, for dipping
For gluing the spring rolls
2 tsp corn starch
4 tsp water
1. Heat peanut oil in a pan and sautee the garlic.
2. Add all the vegetables and stir for a few minutes.
3. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and give it a final stir. Do not overcook or it will become soggy.
4. Leave to cool before wrapping them in the spring roll wrappers.
5. See pictures (above) on how to roll spring rolls.
6. Heat up vegetable oil in a wok/deep fryer. When it is hot enough, fry the spring rolls until golden brown.
7. Drain excess oil on a paper towel and serve immediately with some dipping sauces.