This is one of my favorite kuih raya (eid cookies) and every Malaysian would know this biscuit! Don’t ask why its called “London Almond”, because it has not association to London what so ever lol! But its bloody awesome ait (Brit accent :P )
LONDON ALMOND RECIPE
Adapted from this recipe with slight modifications
250gram butter, room temperature
125gram caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
100 gram cornflour
100 gram custard powder
300 gram plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
220-250 gm roasted almonds
700 gram cooking chocolate (more or less)
2 tbsp butter
1 cup of crushed nuts (to decorate)
100 or so mini cupcake cases
1. In a food processor,beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add the egg & vanilla essence and pulse a few times until incorporated.
3. In a bowl, sift plain flour, custard powder, cornflour and baking powder and then add it to the food processor. I dont bother adding bit by bit, I just let my food processor do its thang!
4. Once fully incorporated, transfer to a bowl, scrape down the sides of the food processor. Then cover the bowl with a cling wrap and refrigerate until it hardens a bit. The reason you let the dough go a bit hard is because it’ll be too soft when it comes out of the processor and you wont be able to handle the dough as its too sticky.
5. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcious (with fan) and in the meantime, remove the dough from the fridge and shape the dough into tiny 20cent pieces. Fill each one with an almond inside and cover it up. Follow the elongated almond shape.
6. Bake for 20mins. Repeat until all of them are done.Let cool
7. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate with butter. Once melted all over, dip each biscuit and then transfer to a cupcake case. Add a pinch of crushed nuts to finish.