I have been making this carrot cake for years but
sadly I have forgotten where it originated from, (No, I remember now! Of course its from Bree- the lovely Pioneer Woman!) and its always a winner, hands down! Let me tell you, its so so soooo soft and moist and I usually would cover the entire cake with chopped walnuts, unfortunately I didn’t have enough at the time of baking it, so I just sprinkled a bit over the top. But if you do, please, please be generous. It just brings it all together, Yum!
Re-bumped post: I made this cake yet again, and just had to put the walnuts on top! I think the lighting made the colour of the cake injustice (above 2 pics) but the actual colour is much like this photo below.
RECIPE FOR MOIST CARROT CAKE WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Adapted from Pioneer Woman , with modifications to cream cheese frosting
Prep time: 20mins
Cook time: 50mins to 1 hour
2 cups plain flour
2 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cup grated carrots
1/2 tsp salt
50g butter, melted
180g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup walnuts, chopped
2.5 cup icing sugar
2 tsp lemon juice, sift out pulp
Method for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced) or 180 degrees. Grease a rectangular baking tray (30x20cm) and line bottom and sides with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil and eggs using a hand whisk until just combined. Do not overwhisk.
3. In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Then add step 3 to the liquid mixture in step 2 and combine well with a spatula.
5. Add carrots and fold mixture.
6. Pour into the pan and bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool completely before putting the icing on.
Method for Icing
1. In large bowl, mix butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
2. Add sugar and lemon juice. Mix again until creamy.
3. Spread generously onto cake and drizzle the nuts all over.