Yet another Eid/Raya favourite, a vegetarian soup dish with rice cubes (I only say vegetarian as its served with no meat pieces but theres shrimps paste and chicken stock in it!).
My version is a little bit red as I went a bit nuts with the chilli, but technically the colour of the soup is supposed to be yellow. Usually I’d make the rice cubes/nasi impit  myself, but ever since I found them at the asian grocers, I no longer make them. I don’t usually take shortcuts, but its just rice and they all taste the same, no?
RECIPE FOR MALAYSIAN VEGETARIAN LONTONG
Adapted from 3 Hungry Tummies , with slight changes
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
For the paste:
5 dried chillies, seeds removed and soaked in hot water for 30mins
2 red chillies
6 candle nuts
4 garlic cloves
1.5 tbsp turmeric powder
1cm piece of shrimp paste (belacan), toasted
30g dried shrimp, soaked in hot water for a couple of mins
15 small packets of rice cubes
1 cup long green beans, cut into 5cm long
1 large carrot, cut into 5 cm thin strips
1/2 cabbage, cut into pieces
400ml coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 packet bean curd sticks , softened with boiling water for 5mins
3 tbsp oil
salt, to taste
1. In a medium size pot with water, boil rice cubes for an hour (follow instructions on packet). Remove and leave to completely cool before refrigerating for 2 hours. Rice cubes need to set firmly before cutting.
2. Cut all the vegetables and blend the ingredients to make the paste.
3. In a medium pot, heat up oil and saute the blended ingredients until oil separates.
4. Add coconut milk, chicken stock and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a boil.
5. Put the vegetables and bean curd sticks; and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. Season well with salt.
6. Serve with some cut rice cubes for a one pot meal.
Click ‘Read More’ below to print out the recipe and leave a comment.